"God gives you 20% through blessing and the other 80% is your own endeavor, which is the formula of my father's success."
"Sometimes you wish to abandon destiny, but if it is your fate you cannot flee from it for all your life. And you just have to accept it, because it is in your blood and your heart. My name is Jakraphan Chaijit and I was born in the city of Chiang Mai in 1971. I am a person who wanted to escape destiny, but I couldn't. My father is a woodcarver who is known for the delicate details of his works and the stories contained inside. I was born into woodcarving and saw it all my life. When I was young I thought I didn't want to be like my father. When I was still young I moved to Bangkok to study, graduating from high school there. After that I wanted to enter into a university engineering program, but I couldn't get into any. I was very sad - it felt as if my plane had crashed. I had lost my world already. While your friends are learning higher education you have to stay alone at home and feel the pain in your heart. In this time I thought a lot about the direction of my life. And I could see the exit doors.
"God gives you 20% through blessing and the other 80% is your own endeavor, which is the formula of my father's success. I decided to do the same work as my father – carving. I studied my father, learning from his experience and suggestions as a model for woodcarving. Due to customs, the villagers in my home crafted only elephant figures. It sells a lot and there are always orders. We had never done other models. Because of this, our village is known as the elephant-carving village. I crafted these pieces for seven or eight years but then it became too much. Sometimes I sketched elephant models and made drawings to sell these as well, but it is boring if you do the same thing for a long time. Even though your career is supposed to earn you money, it is best if you do what you really want. I began to carve idealistic works so that I could create freely. Two years later I am really enjoying this style.
"Every wood carving has its own story and meaning according to your mood. When I start a piece I must think about the concept, form, and the material. I use hardwoods for voluminous works, and currently I use teak.
"In my personal life, I will get married this month [July 2002] and I am waiting for the good auspices. This situation corresponds with the way I view life. If it is supposed to happen, it will come. I trust in this."
Intrigued by the effects of time, Jit Suttivong espies an old abandoned car near her home. Rust covers it completely and threatens the disintegration of an object that once was a source of pride. Painting with acrylics, Suttivong masterfully conveys....read more
Looking upward at the dawn sky, wildflowers seem to marvel at the vivid heavens. Delicately manipulating watercolors, Carmen Eguía recreates a scene from her childhood on the plains of northern Mexico.
Titled "Danza de primavera II" in Spanish,....read more
"I was inspired by the Andean landscape and I had always wanted to create a harmonious combination of cool and warm hues," says Gabriel Juarez. Painting with oils, he achieves his purpose as he captures the beauty of the Andes with a palette of intense....read more
Small and beautiful, the Our Lady of Glory of the Hill church nestles amid almond trees. It affords a spectacular view of the bay and of Corcovado Hill in the distance. Designed by Alfred Agache, it was built in 1926 and is a favorite venue for weddings.....read more
COLLECTIONS FEATURING Small Impressionist Paintings
We pack, ship, certify and 100% guarantee the quality of this item. Watch this video to see how.
This item is available for backorder and will ship within 2 to 8 weeks. Artists love to get backorders. Placing a backorder ensures that the artisan will do their best to create and deliver your item to our local office for shipment.
Although we cannot guarantee availability, we do expect to be able to fill the order within the timeframe indicated. But sometimes life happens - special materials may not be immediately available to the artist, or there might be some other circumstance beyond our control that could delay the shipment.
If for any reason we are unable to ship the item within the timeframe indicated, we will notify you.
This item has a special shipping flat fee which means that due to bulk, duties, or other special requirements, the item will be shipped to you via one of our special one-rate services. Shipping is only available to the United States (lower 48 States only).
Many of our gift items come with free gift packaging. Check the product detail page to see if this applies to your item. Each region has it's own flavor of gift wrap, using motifs or materials specific to the country they are from.
Every jewelry item comes with a free gift pouch, each with a unique regional twist.